Uranus in Your…

Bizarro is brought to you today by Freaky Crab Hand.

Why do I find static electricity jokes funny? I think that perhaps it is because when I was in grade school, my dad was in a meeting at work and felt something in the sleeve of his suit jacket, reached in a pulled out a baby sock which he then quickly tucked into a pocket so his colleagues would not see it. I remember him and my mother laughing about this when he got home and it stuck with me. I hope you enjoyed this cute story about my childhood.

Unfortunately, I have no cute stories from my childhood about this “resting on my laurels” cartoon. Yes, my parents used to take us to the Colosseum to see people being eaten by wild animals, but it was anything but cute. In fact, it was gross and you could really warp a child with that kind of experience.

I do have a childhood story about this final cartoon, however. Until she was killed in a skateboarding accident, my Aunt Wynona used to argue with various celestial bodies on a regular basis. She once lost an argument with Uranus, in fact, about the origin of the name of this planet. The planet argued that its name was given to it by German astronomer, Johann Elert Bode, after the Greek god, Ouranos, but Aunt Wynona was certain it had been taken from a text message by the planet’s discoverer, Sir William Herschel, angry because his original name, Georgium Sidus, was not accepted. “U R Anus!,” Aunt Wynona contended he had texted to Bode.

As usual, she was wrong.

And since a handful of you asked me to post more of my sketchbook images and not a single person said, “No more sketchbook images!” I include the following.

Bizarro cartoons of all sorts, including these, can be found on all sorts of useful products here.

This entry was posted in daily Bizarros, history, inspiring stories, sketchbook and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Uranus in Your…

1. Pamela in Calgary, AB says:

Dan, I’m loving the sketchbook pictures you’re posting…they’re really cool. I do have a question for you…how do you find all the crazy photos you use in your posts. Do you do an online search as you need them, or do you have a bunch of photos “stockpiled” to use when needed?

Curious minds want to know…thanks for sharing!

Pamela

I write the copy, then search for various odd photos to go with various words and stuff. I’ve gotten good at finding things that way. Glad you’re enjoying them!

2. Sean says:

You should write some kind of Dr. Seuss-ish kids books using your sketches. Great!

3. Tanja says:

Great sketch! What would Freud make of it?

4. NJMurphy says:

While I like that you write about the whys and hows of your cartoons, doesn’t the syndicate get annoyed that you post some cartoons before their publication date?

I love your stuff, but I do like to wait until Christmas to open my presents, if you know what I mean.

Well, technically, I usually will only post a cartoon a handful of hours before it would appear in papers, so it’s not too big of a deal. I usually only do that with Sunday cartoons, posting them on Saturdays. But many Sunday editions, with comics, appear on newsstands on Saturday night anyway, so again, not a big deal. As a rule, I never post a cartoon more than 12 hours-or-so before papers are out. :o)

5. Prospero says:

Also loving the sketchbook images. They are so primal and.. aw how am I kidding? They’re weird, like me. I like weird.

By the way – at least 3 of the sites I regularly visit had a cartoon of yours featured today. Keep up the bizarre work!

6. patrick says:

Thanks again for the comics. Quick question — what type of pen do you use in your sketchbooks? Is it a rapidograph, a pentel razor point, or ? You get nice crisp fine lines.

7. Steve Ford says:

Add one more vote for sketchbook!

8. alanborky says:

RE: sketchbook stuff.

Am I mistaken in detecting subliminal hints in these particular images you at one time were quite taken with The Beatles Yellow Submarine cartoon?

Ooh, that’s int’resting!

As I was writing that I just saw a flash of light and was suddenly inundated by this ‘data’ that ‘Yellow Submarine’ was a dig by Paul at Yoko, and I seemed to hear his voice as it was at the time – sort of both squeaky and deep at the same time – saying mockingly, “’cause she’s so dee-eep!”

I don’t know if that’s true or not – maybe it’s a rumour circulating at the time I unwittingly picked up as a nine year old – but since it came to me on your watch, as it were, I thought you’d be intrigued to hear it!

I was a fan of Yellow Submarine, of course, but I wouldn’t say it was a huge influence on me. At least not that I was aware of. I certainly dug the surreal nature of the animation, though. I hadn’t heard that about it being a dig at Yoko. Interesting theory.

9. Steve H says:

Is the “shoed zucchini” a tribute to the late great B. Kliban?

In some ways, yes. I first came across Kliban’s work in 1976, when I was in college, and it was the single thing that made me want to be a cartoonist. He’s my favorite all-time.

10. plok says:

Bizarro …yep

11. rob says:

Mmmm, olive gun. I need one of those for my martini making.

12. Pingback: Resting On Laurels | LauraJul

13. Kellyjdrummer says:

The “whole world” revolves around it’s axis. It orbits the sun.