Surreal Dead Clown Courtesy

(Hey, Mr. Bigshot! Click on the eyeball to see this image larger. If you have the guts.)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Check-Out Line Shocker!

If you’re a fan of surrealist art, you’ll recognize a lot of the themes at work in this cartoon. The original concept came from my “known associate,” Wayno of Pittsburgh. This was a truly collaborative effort since I added a fair amount of my own input into the dialogue and art. I’ve been a big fan of surrealism since I was a kid, so this was a lot of fun to draw. Here now are some of the famous images that this cartoon refrences:

Image 1Image 2Image 3Image 4Image 5Image 6

And here is what Big Wayno has to say about this nonsense.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to talk for a moment about the dangerous habit that clowns have of cramming themselves into vehicles in numbers well beyond the limits and guidelines of the National Board of Safe Behavior. If you or someone you know is a clown, please limit your passengers to the number of seat belts available. “Just Say No” to Klown Kar Kramming. Or you, too, could find yourself crammed into a Kooky Koffin.

Last cartoon for your weekend Jazz Pickle Gumbo…courtesy phone. I have a feeling that this gag has been done before and probably more than once. It’s one of those ideas that has been beaten to death, in fact. I’m sure of it. But it gave me a smile and I couldn’t remember seeing it done so I barfed it up and sent it in for publication. So sue me.

I hope you enjoyed my little mini-parade of 2-D amusement. For more amusing things to fillĀ  the terrifying corners of your dark and hopeless life, go here.

This entry was posted in daily Bizarros, fine art, wayno and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Surreal Dead Clown Courtesy

1. Loretta Czernis says:

Surreal Estate Agent? You must have had a fantastic holiday and a good rest, because this is your best work to date. Kooky Koffin is a close second. What did you eat over the holidays? I want some. Thanks so much for the thrills and spills.

Thanks, glad you liked them. Over the holidays I ate the typical stuff vegans eat on holidays: just about everything in sight that doesn’t have dead animal stuff in it. :o)

2. Ulrich says:

I love the Surreal Estate Agent. Magritte is one of my all time favorites :-)

3. KiltBear says:

Besides the awesomeness of the historical art references I this piece (though image 3′s involvement still puzzles me, the back of a guys head?) it’s the self referential aspect, and all the usually hidden symbols being brought to the fore is what makes this so surreally enjoyable for a Jazz Pickle.

I love this piece.

Magritte’s painting of the back of the guy’s head is more-or-less the one that inspired the the character next to the woman with the cloth over her head. A loose reference, for sure. :o)

4. Pingback: Surrealtors | Broadsheet.ie

5. rob says:

Clown coffin, wow, lol.

Like the surrealist one, for the fact that it has both overt (Magritte guy) and more subtle (back of the head guy) references.

6. Carol Wells says:

I love your strip.

7. George Phillips says:

That isn’t what courtesy phones do? Man, you learn something new every day.

Is the secret item count off? Looks like a “1″ by your name, but I see a “K2″ on the tie and an eyeball on the phone dial. Yes, I should really try harder to repress my obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

You’re right about the secret symbol count. Not only did I mess that up, my editor missed it as well, and she’s a real hawkeye. DAMN!

• Calvin says:

Once in a while I find an extra one too, but I missed that one. Better update my sheet – you’re not the only obsessive one. :)

8. monsterzero says:

As always, immensely humorous. But are there not TWO hidden symbols in the “Courtesy Phone” panel that lists only ONE to be found within its confines? K-2 & the eyeball?

I await my No Prize with bated breath, good sir!

9. edjusted says:

I love the surreal estate agent joke!

10. The Clown Firemen image is truly nightmare material.

11. Calvin says:

Looks like you decided to showcase your (surreal) symbols too. Only the Lost Loafer is missing. Maybe it’s lost? :)

12. Katherine says: