Stingy Air Fingers

Bizarro is brought to you today by Free Eeyore!

Good day to you, Bizarro Jazz Pickles. It is another beautiful day here in SoCal –– sunny and 70º –– which was a big reason for my moving here, so I’m happy about that. The amount I’m saving on crazy pills (anti-depressants) alone is paying for half of my rent.

Here’s the breakdown of today’s cartoons:

1. God, I hate politicians, especially conservative ones.

2. I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, so that’s why I chose that name for one of the jars in the Air Museum. I have a sister who lives outside of Portland. Boston is a short name that fit easily on the card.

3. If you’re older than forty, you likely remember when rotary-dial phones were the norm and how in the early days of long distance discount companies, you had to dial your account number, then a code of some kind, then the number of condiments in your refrigerator, then your bank’s routing number, then the number you wanted to reach, which added up to something like 40 or 50 numbers. If you made even a single mistake or lost your place, you’d have to start again, so most phone calls ended up requiring you to rotate your bloody,  sore digit around that plastic disk sixty or eighty times, only to find out the party you were calling was not home and did not yet own one of those newfangled answering machines. It was a soul-crushing experience from which I shall never recover.

Of course, when teens of today are old, they’ll be complaining about the days before “smart phones” when they had to push the number keys eleven times to type the word “love” into a text message. Not as soul-crushing as having to dial 60 numbers on a rotary dial, but inconvenient, to be sure.

I look forward to the day when we can just say the name of the person we want to call and our phone will dial it automatically. Oh, wait. That’s already here.

These cartoons and MORE on SO many products.

Great cartoons collected in books.

Rabbit-shaped fish

This entry was posted in Bizarro Merch, daily Bizarros, history, politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Stingy Air Fingers

1. Katherine says:

I LOVE the man examining the jars of air.

2. Linda Marshall says:

I finally got rid of my answering machine (looked just like that one, only brown) about a year and a half ago. It had developed the endearing habit of cutting off the first 30 seconds or so of the message, leaving me with “…so please call back right away, it’s very important. Click” or I’d probably be using it still.

3. Josh says:

I hate conservative politicians too… and liberal ones. Libertarian is the only way to go.

4. Cliff says:

The National Air and Space Museum could be drawn as just a big empty room. :-) Lots of air, lots of space…

5. Hermite says:

That Portland jar should have been about three-quarters full of water. :o)

6. SenseiC says:

1. God, I hate politicians, especially conservative ones…

Okay I MAY agree with you mostly on the “politician” part, but I suspect the real objection you have doesn’t come with “conservative” vs. “liberal”, but more the complete unwillingness by to compromise (Egad! Did I use the “C” word).

As for the URL you posted… BAHAHAHAHA Talk about irony! I would LOVE to “chat” with the clown that chose to put THAT PARTICULAR caption on that image ( went out looking with a reverse image search engine, but got even more frustrated when I found other unmodified versions of it… with names like JesusHealsBlind, etc. I would argue that WITHOUT a doubt that painting relates to Luke 17:11-18 (Jesus healing the ten lepers) which given the caption makes it even MORE ironic.

A healer who healed the “outcast” of society

A healer who did NOT refuse to approach/treat someone considered “unclean”

A healer who did NOT refuse to approach/treat someone from another hated” country

And only that “outcast”, “unclean”, and “hated” one returns to the one who provided for his healing to say “thank you”.

SenseiC bows out.

7. Thanatos Sunbum says:

Hey Dan,

What happened to the “dirty” or “adult” site you were going to update in 24 hours several days ago? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Love your work; always have.

I am truly glad you are well in SoCal.

8. Mr. Banonymous says:

Mind if I use your Santa Claus handouts cartoon on my 8th grade economics test tomorrow?

I believe the children are the future, make them laugh and teach them on the way.

9. Anton says:

Just found your site. Very interesting and amusing, I’m going to follow it now. :)

The third one made me remember my childhood. Don’t get me wrong, I’m only 23. It’s just that in Russia, where I’m from, rotary-dial phones had been quite widespread until the end of ninneties, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them still exist somewhere, especially in smalltowns (no, actually, I would be, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find an old button phone). The other funny thing is that answering machines are practically non-existent in Russia. The practice of using them simply never appeared here.

10. Sara says:

Just thought I’d let you know. I believe in “giving credit where credit is due.”

Also, I absolutely am crazy about your cartoons and what you write about them. Thanks for giving me a place to go whenever I need a good laugh:~)

Have a good weekend.

11. Hey, Dan, I call bullshit. The air in the Boston jar is clear, man.