Drunk Driving Reptiles

Bizarro is brought to you today by Irish Yoga.

First off, I’d like to say that I’m allowed to trash the Irish and St. Patrick’s Day because my mother is part Irish, rendering me an indeterminate percentage Irish. Plus, my first wife was mostly Irish, making my two daughters, Krelspeth and Krapuzar (Gaelic names) about half Irish. I also come from a staunch Catholic family and went to Catholic school. And I drink a lot of whiskey on a regular basis. So I’m covered.

Now that we have that out of the way, is there any religious holiday that has gotten more offtrack than St. Patrick’s Day? Sure, I’m guessing somebody somewhere goes to church that day and prays to or about something or other that has to do with the life of St. Patrick or Jesus or somebody. But I don’t know for sure that anyone does that because the entirety of the holiday now is about getting so drunk that you embarrass yourself in public in any number of available ways: vomiting, nudity, unconsciousness, assassination attempts, karaoke, etc.

Some might say that this is because the Irish are notorious drinkers, yet others would say that is an unfair, bigoted stereotype. Now, I’m not a historian and I’ve not spent one second on Wikipedia looking this up but I’m going to go on record with the certainty of an expert and say that the Irish are, in fact, notoriously heavy drinkers (and poets and fighters, which often follows excessive drinking) and that this hard, cold fact is exactly why this holiday has degenerated into a festival of degenerates.

As a partly-Irish person, I’m not offended by this characterization at all. Nor am I morally offended that what (presumably) was once a religious holiday is now about debauchery. The only objections to St. Patrick’s Day I currently hold are that the high percentage of public drunkenness makes leaving the house mathematically more dangerous for me, and that the outlandish parades cause traffic jams. Other than that, I don’t really care how people dress or act on March 17th.

St. Patrick himself might have been a real peachy guy, but as far as I know he is famous primarily for driving the snakes out of Ireland. (No idea how he did this since he died 1400 years before the invention of the automobile.) Again, I don’t know anything about this alleged event but I can say with certainty that either there are still snakes in Ireland, some natural event got rid of them, or there never were any. I know this because there is no such thing as magic, only “tricks” that fool the eye. I doubt even Penn and Teller could appear to rid an island the size of Ireland of an entire suborder of reptiles by means of trickery.

I’m also puzzled as to why ridding Ireland of snakes would even be a good thing. Snakes eat rats and rats are a far larger potential health menace for humans than are snakes. So, thanks, but no thanks, Pat. Bring the snakes back before we all die of plague.

Here is a St. Pat’s Day cartoon I did in 2006, which got some guys in an Irish club of some sort all bent out of shape. I received a number of indignant letters from a handful of these would-be leprechauns and will share the best one with you here:

I was completely offended by the St. Patrick’s Day panel you decided to put in the paper. As and Irish American and Catholic, I must make you and your fellow cartoonists aware that such a depiction of the patron satin of Ireland goes too far in exploiting the Irish stereotypes.

On MLK day, did you write a panel of African Americans drinking 40s in the street?

On Jewish holidays do you draw cartoons about Jewish people and their eating beliefs or money hoarding?

On Thanksgiving, will you portray today’s American Indians sitting around their casino drinking and living their tax-free lives?

Why are the Irish open to such stereotypes but for anyone else it would cause too much trouble?

I hope you enjoyed that letter as much as I did and that you have a safe St. Patrick’s Day with as little magic marker on your face tomorrow morning as is possible under the circumstances. If you feel inclined to write an angry, semi-coherent letter about my views of this “holiday” and my treatment of it in my most recent St. Pat’s Day cartoon, please do. Reading idiotic hate mail in my comedy shows is one of my most popular routines.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I realize that not all Irish are heavy drinkers and that most people who make fools of themselves on March 17th are not Irish and that some Catholics take the holiday seriously and go to church or whatever and that the letter I reprinted here contained non-PC comments about various ethnic groups and that you may have found one or more comments in this post to be offensive.

This entry was posted in classic Bizarros, cranky comments, daily Bizarros, history, religion. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Drunk Driving Reptiles

1. Pingback: Drunk Driving Reptiles « Humor

2. Ginger says:

Hahaha…. I love you.

3. Stone Indian says:

Dude, YOU funny!!! Love that letter, and I have to say 2 things. One of my former co-workers, a very proud Irishman, used to tell me his favorite joke every St. Patty’s Day.

“Why did God make Alcohol?…. To keep the Irish from taking over the world!”

Dennis Leary…” Ya know why the Irish hate the Russians? Vodka!! The Irish were EATING potatoes for centuries and the Russians go and show them that they could have been making VODKA!!”

And as a Native American, I have to say, if you can incorporate a casino into your Thanksgiving Panel… I swear I will share it with every friend I have… all 6 of them!!

I’ve done a number of Native American cartoons over the years. This is one of my faves. Casino

• Stone Indian says:

I love that one, In fact I printed it the first time I saw it and hung it on the fridge just because I liked it so much! I used to work in a Casino on a Reservation in Northern NY, back in the early 90′s. So those smiles are particularly sweet for me.

4. John M. says:

Hey, I laughed. I’m Irish, several generations removed, and I know what we are!

Screw the PC Generation.

5. Stephen Russell says:

I love your work.

Why the snakes in Ireland?

Snake = Sin or just ask Eve for an ear full.

• kshep000 says:

I always thought the snakes being driven out of Ireland were representative of paganism being pushed out by St. Patrick and the Church… I guess you learn something new every day.

6. Bob says:

Dan,

I am curious about all those images you link into your blog entries. Do you dig them up as you’re composing the text, or do you keep a supply of pictures you’ve encountered, waiting for the opportunity to use them? Do some of the images help to inspire the thinking that leads to your comics? Not that I want you to give away the secrets of your success…

Usually I write the text, then look for words that I might be able to link a funny picture to, then hit the Google. Sometimes I save good pics that I know I can use somehow someday. Shhh. Our secret.

7. Ryan says:

mm. I like my patron satin sheets so much too, man.

8. James says:

Dan, thanks for your disclaimer and carefully and gently walking me through the different ways I might’ve been offended by the content in your recent blog post. However I now find myself offended! What am I some kind of idiot who can’t interpret the world on my own that I now need to be notified that I might potentially be offended, I find that offensive! : ) Love as always.

9. joanne says:

well, I’m not sure if I’m Irish….. But Ive spent the last 3 days eating most of a cake decorated with light green frosting and dark green flowers..a St. Patricks Day cake meant for a party….. (my sister is a cake decorator and this was cosidered a ‘mistake’ because the texture of the frosting was wrong, so she gave it to me….) If it were a dark brew, ( or any alcohol) I’d be vomiting in the streets…. The other thing I’m doing is a sunflower in oils on canvas painting green leaves shaped like spades ..and clubs…….. Happy St. Patricks : o )

10. Indi says:

Holy hand grenade Batman! St Patrick drives off Medusa’s snakes on a blind date? I guess she won’t be turning him to stone later …

11. One popular interpretation of the “driving the snakes out of Ireland” story is that the snakes were a symbol for the pre-Christian Celtic Pagan religion, Druidism. He drove the Pagans out of Ireland. However, one just has to look at the Green Man and Sheila N’ Gig sculptures on some of the early Irish Christian churches, the Irish who still light the balefires on the hills at Samhain or Lughnasad or the offerings left at Brigid’s wel,l to know that he wasn’t as successful as is claimed.

12. Pingback: Ill Fated | Broadsheet.ie

13. Eli says:

There’s a theory that in St. Patrick’s story, snakes=Druids (because the snake may have been one of the Druids’ sacred symbols). So rather than a slightly confusing but at least interesting story about a dude ridding a small island of snakes, it turns out to be the same old song and dance about the Church ruthlessly exterminating competing religious practices.

14. Pingback: WHAT IS THIS CRAP? » I don’t have to run day…

15. Waldo says:

I say forget the Mexicans… export the Irish.

Start with my wife. After she is gone, if you want, go back to the Mexicans, I won’t mind…

16. Princess Mom says:

There never were any snakes in Ireland. Still aren’t, because they’d have to swim the Irish Sea to get there. (And yes, I am Irish and have been there.)

17. Calvin says:

In all this talk about St Patrick’s Day, did anyone notice how awesomely the expressions on St Patrick and Medusa were done? Medusa’s is priceless!

Thanks so much for noticing. I put a lot of thought into things like that and it’s great to hear that it isn’t missed by some readers. :o))

18. Mike Rea says:

And if it says anythng, it wasn’t until sometime in the 1970′s that the pubs in Ireland were allowed to open on St. Patricks Day.

19. Julie says:

I clicked on the “degenerates” link expecting to see a picture of Ellen Degeneres. When I did not, I concluded that 1) You already did it in a previous blog that I missed; 2) You would have had to pay royalties for using her photo; 3) You didn’t want to risk offending the gay/lesbian population by insinuating they are all degenerates; 4) You don’t mind the risk, but just hadn’t thought of it (in which case, you can use my idea for free and I promise not to tell Ellen.)

20. TopLista says:

Wonderful items from you, man. I have keep in mind your stuff previous to and you’re just too great. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the best way by which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to stay it smart. I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a tremendous web site.

21. Avedon says:

I’ve been to Ireland. They don’t drink green beer. Mostly they drink brown beer. Also: No snakes.