Big Feet, Big…

bz panel 05-18-13Bizarro is brought to you today by Big Camel Toe.

I’m a big fan of Bigfoot cartoons. I am not a believer, as you may have guessed, but I have a friend who is an ardent member of the congregation. Whatever fills your taco shell, right?

The idea for this cartoon came from my good buddy, part-time amateur counselor, and The King of Wordplay, Cliff Harris. Few people love to parse the English language more than this dude. Cliff missed his calling (and didn’t have voicemail) so he became a pediatrician, thinking that was a foot doctor. (This confusion led to his interest in language.) After a few decades of treating sick children (with special attention to their feet) he retired and is now writing clever books for kids (which incorporate some very clever language stuff) though he is yet to be published in that arena. I’ve read them and they’re boffo! I predict big things for you, Cliff! Best of  luck and get back to your keyboard!

This entry was posted in animals, daily Bizarros and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Big Feet, Big…

1. Murgen says:

OMG, that camel toe is GROSS!

2. Craig L says:

There’s a nice webcomic titled Untold Tales of Bigfoot which has a ‘Bigfoot’ character with two large, bare feet and a level of naivete that makes you wonder how he survives. http://untoldtalesofbigfoot.com/ It’s nominated for a National Cartoonists Society award (you know, the one you won 3 times in 3 years, but new in a new category for webcomics). IMO, it’s one of the best of the six nominated comics in two divisions (unfortunately the best one is in the same division)… but come on, Cartoonists, just because there are lots of cats on the Internet, the webcomic with the most cats is NOT the best.

I love UTOB. I don’t remember who else is up for that award this year, but Dorse certainly deserves an award for his high level of work.

• Vince says:

d’aawww…you guys… I noticed I had some traffic coming over from Dan’s blog and couldn’t imagine why. Now I know. Thanks, Craig and Dan, for saying such nice things about my comic. Made my day. And yes, according to the research I’ve done, Dan’s asymmetrical sasquatch is completely within the realm of possibility. -v

LOVE your stuff, thanks so much for checking in. And good luck with the awards! Will you be in PBurgh?

• Vince says:

Thanks, Dan. I really enjoy your stuff too. One of the comics I make a point to read on a regular basis. And, yeah, as chance would have it, Dan, I live in Pittsburgh. So I’ll hike over to the awards ceremony this weekend. Wayno’s gonna be there too! -v

Cool. Be sure to say hello!

• Craig L says:

All the current NCS Awards/Reubens nominees: http://www.reuben.org/2013/03/2012-divisional-award-nominees-annouced/

For the record, the one I like better in the “Long Form Webcomic” category is Octopus Pie http://www.octopuspie.com/ a semi-adult relationship-dramedy about, well, semi-adults. And, no I don’t like it because of Brooklyn, I like it IN SPITE OF Brooklyn. As for my ‘webcomic with the most cats’ reference, in the “Short Form” category is ‘Ten Cats’ (no link, because I don’t like it).

But the NCS Awards/Reubens have a long way to catch up in recognizing webcomics compared to the other two awards named after famous cartoonists: the Eisners which has had a ‘Best Digital Comic’ since 2005 (but NOTHING for syndicated comics?!?) and the Harveys with ‘Best Online Comic’ since 2006 (hey, you’re nominated this year in ‘Best Syndicated Strip or Panel’! Congrats. Everybody says CulDeSac should win but they’ll probably give it to Mutts again. Or they’ll split the vote and you’ve got a shot.)

Untold Tales is less than a year old, but if Vince Dorse keeps it up like he has for a while, it’ll get a lot of awards…

AS a matter of fact, I did not know I was nominated for a Harvey. Nobody told me until now. Thanks! :o)
          I agree that the NCS has ignored web comics for too long and the same is true for the Eisners with syndicated.

3. Doctor G says:

I remember Cliff Harris when he played safety for the Dallas Cowboys back in the 70s.

4. I could have gone even longer without ever seeing a picture of your sponsor.

5. Cliff says:

You’re the best, Dan. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Rest assured, I’m chipping away at the latest re-write of the book.
    un abrazo muy fuerte

6. Lou Stoole says:

Imagine this: you drop your Yeti Cooler next to the tent and a Bigfoot shows up! http://www.yeticoolers.com

Coincidence, destiny or product placement?

7. Jason DeVillains says:

Oh man.. I knew that I shouldn’t have looked at Big Camel Toe.

8. ROBERT PIKE says:

DAN

LOVE YOUR DAILY TOON IN THE NEWS TRIBUNE IN TACOMA, WA. I WOUNDERED HOW YOU CAN COME UP WITH SOME OF YOUR IDEAS AND THOUGHTS FOR YOUR DAILY COMICS. THEN I STARTED TO GET SOME OF MY OWN. DO YOU EVERY USE OR NEED ANY “BIZARRO” IDEAS FOR YOUR WORK ?

THANKS FOR STARTING MY DAY,

BOB PIKE, BUCKLEY, WA

9. Rob says:

I knew clicking the camel toe link was a bad idea… Btw, the male equivalent is (hilariously) called “moose knuckles”.