Frigid Friends

Bizarro 11-10-13 WEB Bizarro 11-10-13 hdr WEB

(To make it bigger, touch a snowman’s stick.)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Snowvictims.

In most parts of the U.S.A. it isn’t snowy yet, but I like the simple sweetness of this gag and I’ve been holding onto it for months so just pretend you live in Minnesota or deepest, darkest Canada. Or be thankful you don’t, depending on your climate preferences. Me, I’m happy I’m here in Southern California where snow is something you snort, not trudge through.

I like the title panel for this one, too. The possibilities for snowman gags are just endless, as Bill Watterson once proved, and endlessly fun to draw, too.

PICKLED JAZZ: Today’s golden oldie from 2005 is one of my favorite snowman gags ever. I like how the punch line isn’t spelled out and one must think for a moment to come to the dark truth behind the story. Chilling, isn’t it?Bz 12-28-05 SnowmenWEB

This entry was posted in classic Bizarros, daily Bizarros and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Frigid Friends

1. Kayle says:

I’ve got to say, I’ve been thinking of ordering a couple of sets of holiday cards from CafePress featuring today’s “sponsor”. May have to now.

The Romantic Partner, early in the relationship, swore that it never snows in his hometown, so this delicate SoCal flower agreed to spend the holidays with his family, only to be greeted with the Worst Ice Storm in 20 years. Snow is lovely — in pictures.

2. indi says:

Oh, the snow people with their long sticks are awesome. That would make a great Christmas card :-)

BTW, we do get plenty of snow in So Cal, it’s just that you get to choose when to visit it up in the mountains. I still recall one fine spring day in my yoot when we skied Big Bear all morning and into the afternoon then came down, rested up a bit then headed out to a nighttime beach party. *sigh* Good times … good times.

3. Shreya says:

It’s great how the campfire cartoon doesn’t even need a description (like another one of yours, where a gang of clowns are waiting for their tiny elevator alongside a normal-ish man waiting for his normal elevator)!
    Also, I’ll never think of snowmen the same again. Drat.

4. Rik says:

I first thought the snowmen were roasting marshmallows on their pee XD

5. Museum Guard says:

Are you sure those marshmallow roasting sticks are long enough?
    (Maybe in those cold climates where they actually have snow.)

6. Bruce says:

I just thought of a great title for the comic with the Snowmen roasting marshmallows…… “Snowmen Roasting By An Open Fire”

7. Ephraim Schoonmaker says:

Um, what? They stabbed him with their noses?

8. Ted says:

Not seeing the mustache in this one.

9. Andy says:

No Movember mustache in Sunday’s strip?

10. irys says:

Looks like that snowman nose exactly what happened to him.

I’ll see myself out.

11. rubber_wonder_boy says:

So, there’s gots to be a deeper, darker & hopefully more sinister train of thot here because I’m stumped. Here’s what stumps me:

What do snowpeople do with roasted marshmallows?

Oh, please let it be dirty! Pretty puh-lease?!?! The food fetishist in me is just DYING to know!
    {And please let it not be some snack cake with a marshmallow coating.}

12. Greg lew says:

Thanks Dan!
    Yes, we are up here in the woods of Wisconsin, and this is a bleak reminder for the months ahead.
    We’ve already had snow, BTW!

13. Liz says:

Along the lines of the holidays and snowmen, can you post the one you did long ago that had nutcrackers talking to each other? One was saying he gives the nuts a little lick. It’s my favorite and I lost it (I had cut it out of The Plain Dealer many years ago).

Sorry to say that I only vaguely remember that gag and my archives are such that I’d not be able to find it without a print date. Sorry!

14. David DeLoach says:

Snowvictims is one of my all-time favorites from you. The more you look at the details, the funnier it is.

15. Brad says:

I’ve always loved your snowman cartoons! A snowman joke never gets old!

16. Peter Supersano says:

Et tu, Frosty? Can’t wait for your podcast.

17. Pingback: Campfire Chills | Broadsheet.ie

18. Dudek says:

There must be a Charlie Chaplin mustache on one of the snowmen with their back to us, the viewers.

19. Pingback: Frigid Friends | binncheol

20. Lou Stoole says:

Not a word about snow jobs or snow blowers.

Opportunities missed!

21. Ian J.K. says:

Hello Mr. Piraro, I love your comics and I read Bizarro (along with Mutts! -irreverent) everyday. Your comics are a huge inspiration to me and every other jazz pickle and just your blog posts make me die in laughter. I’m only 17 and started doing the comic for our high school newspaper, its once a few weeks. Do you have any pointers for me or anyone that reads this? I wan’t to become a cartoonist someday :)

22. Keajan says:

Excuse me for being dim and tardy, but I’ve been thinking about the bottom cartoon from 2005 for two days now, and I don’t get it! Dan, have mercy and explain this gag to me!!

The snowmen used their noses to stab the other one to death. I don’t know why, exactly. Perhaps it was an argument among friends that got out of hand. We may never know.

23. Kandice says:

I thought the snowmen in the bottom cartoon had just caught a little winter “cold,” with the downed snowman being the victim of a trio of sneezes.

24. Gina C-P says:

Have you ever seen the Christmas cartoon ‘The Snowman’ based on the book of the same name? David Bowie narrates, gorgeous artwork and a great scene with snowmen dancing around a campfire in the middle of the forest (!) Can’t forget the high-pitched tune sung by the boy-soloist. A 1/2 cartoon I think you’d like (wonder if it’s on You Tube?)