Clarity

bz panel 11-21-13bz strip 11-21-13Bizarro is brought to you today by Mustache Overkill.

So I’ve been including a mustache in most all of my cartoons in November, as part of that Movember movement thing. Can you find the hidden mustache in this image? Here’s a hint: it’s under the doctor’s nose.

If I were an optometrist or ophthalmologist (what’s with the extra letters in that word, for chaos’ sake?) I’d have a traditional eye chart printed up in this typeface, just to screw with patients. See how that works? I’d be the “funny doctor.” But I wouldn’t stop there, I’d go ahead and fit them with glasses that make the poster clear again, then send them off to buy glasses as thick as butcher block table. Oh, the laughs we’d have.

REBIZARROS: Of the many eye doctor jokes I’ve done over the past 79 years of my career, this one is one of my real faves.  I know that a lot of cartoons have been done over the years about why Picasso painted as he did, but I still like it. So there. bz 04-04-97 PicassoEyeDocWEB

This entry was posted in classic Bizarros, daily Bizarros and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Clarity

1. Lou Stoole says:

Mustache AND eyebrow overkill!

2. PeterDM says:

That comic about Picasso’s optometrist is the best Picasso comic I’ve ever seen. The reason is that all the other gags about Picasso use the same premise: something in real life (usually a person) looks exactly the way he painted it. Ha. Again.

Well done, 1997 Dan.

3. Life is Just One Long Comic Strip says:

For a little extra humor…how ’bout a tie that has all eyes on it or the Bunny of Exuberance? Maybe even the doctor’s diploma hanging from the hook on door to signify that he moves it from room to room to show his patients how important he is? Curse those neurons in my head again!

4. Foye Lowe says:

First the horse, then the cart:
    Final vowels affect the art.
    I say “Wow!” and you say “Whoa!”
    As both of us reflect on “O” . . .

5. &y &a says:

Your comic about Picasso’s eyesight was thought to actually apply to the famed painter, El Greco. Art historians and ophthalmologists believed they had diagnosed that he suffered from severe astigmatism from the systematic distortions manifested in his paintings and drawings, but further research on perception has challenged these inferences: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/were-only-human/a-new-look-at-perception-thank-you-el-greco.html.

I’ve heard that but I’ve always discounted it because it defies logic. If he looks at normal things and sees stretched images, his paintings would be “normal” to us because he would see them as stretched because of his eyesight issues. Maybe that’s what your link says, I’ve not read it yet. Interesting subject, though. :^}

6. Jack Asher says:

It’s actually interesting because Monet’s vision steadily decayed as he got older, and his paintings got more and more obscured. People thought he was getting more creative and lauded his progressive style.

But it turned out the sucker just couldn’t see.