Running For Souls

bz panel 11-22-13bz strip 11-22-13Bizarro is brought to you today by Identity Theft.

There are few things with the enduring humor of someone other than the Pope dressed like the Pope. It’s a simple equation, really: only one person is the world has the “right” to dress in this outfit and that person has claimed supremacy over all other living beings on the planet as the infallible, divine representative of GOD on earth. So to dress as the Pope not only works on the level that outdated, historical costumes work, but also in making a comment about the person’s arrogance or irreverence, or both. I know it is cliche and the shock value of it wore of ages ago, but I still get a kick out of it. Plus, miters (those phalic Pope hats) are fun to draw. On a side note, I am disappointed in myself (especially as a recovering Catholic) that I forgot to draw the streamers on the back of the hat. Here’s what they should have looked like, only blowing in the wind.

BYGONE BIZARRO: Oddly enough, just yesterday a Jazz Pickle asked me about an old cartoon of mine about the same subject. I was able to find it in my tornado-aftermath of an archive and so I can now bring it to you. BZ 09-08-05 standup heaven

This entry was posted in classic Bizarros, daily Bizarros, religion and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Running For Souls

1. Ken McKnight says:

Sorry for being a grammar Nazi, but you meant “run every day.” “Everyday” is an adjective, as in “an everyday occurrence.” I’m afraid Proof Ninja is going to be very disappointed.

2. You have the number 4 above your signature, but I count 5 icons — 4 1/2 really — or am I supposed to ignore the UFO on the T-shirt?

3. Foye Lowe says:

I keep imagining Mercury’s winged heels on the runner . . .

4. Chris McKillop says:

I like the First Communion photo of you both in a suit and in a dress and then merging the images into one shot. Versatile little imp, weren’t you?

Haha. She’s my older sister but people often thought we were twins at that age. We don’t look anything alike now. She doesn’t even have a mustache.

5. Pingback: Runned Over? « Sun Country's Weblog

6. Carla Cook says:

I see the bunny behind the little boy, but this obviously cannot be you, no mustache, I am pretty sure you were born with it!

7. Rich L says:

Obviously, you drew him in his “running hat.”

8. Gina C-P says:

“3 months -99 years”?

9. Luis says:

Actually, “everyday” as one word means “ordinary.” That wasn’t part of that gag, was it? Sorry, I’m an English instructor, so this is kind of reflexive.

You’re totally right, I know that, and I’m disappointed that I not only did that, but didn’t catch it. What’s really surprising is that my editor didn’t catch it. Anyway, thanks for the correction!

10. Collin Blatt says:

Is that a piece of Blueberry pie in the bottom right corner of the Religiously running comic?

11. Loretta Czernis says:

Papal vestments appear to be the answer to winning marathons. The popish character is running faster than the guy in shorts.

12. TomK says:

Hey Dan,

Allus enjoyin’ yer ‘toons (and, I have to say the blog even as much if not more!). An interesting difference between the two ‘toon formats attracted my attention: the strip version makes it look like the non-Pope runner is making the comment re: religious running. Whaddya thimk?

Also, not on this ‘toon but the latest one (Sunday) has “redder” where it shouldn’t be….pretty sure. I’m not happy to point stuff out like this, so just lemme know and I’ll cease and desist. If it was me, I’d want it and I know you’re of a similar mind…but, still, …well, you know…the whole “grammar nazi thing”

13. LucyLastic says:

Just wanted to say that the gag is great, but I’m transfixed by the way you’ve drawn the running shoes – they look so good! :-)