Uncommon Tuts

bz panel 01-09-14bz strip 01-09-14Bizarro is brought to you today by Modern Convenience!

If you have trouble remembering spelling rules, imagine what it must have been like for the ancient Egyptians and their funny-picture-writing thing. (Why isn’t there a word for that?)

I confess that I used an old piece of art for this cartoon, which is something many syndicated cartoonists do all of the time but rarely admit. I don’t like to admit it, either, but I figure what the hell? This image was perfect for this gag, why redraw it slightly differently when I can save my time for more important things like repainting my hot air balloon to look like Darth Vader?

I’m quite fond of the gag from the original cartoon, as well, so I offer it to you here.

BYGONE BIZARRO: Since we’re talking about spelling, here is a related gag from a couple of years ago that was the brainchild of my good buddy, Cliff Harris the King of Wordplay. I hope this journey into the history of our Egyptian neighbors has amused you in some way.bz 10-22-12 egyptWEB

This entry was posted in classic Bizarros, daily Bizarros, history and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Uncommon Tuts

1. Don Simms says:

If that truly is your balloon, I am envious. I shall await your visit to Colorado Springs for their wonderful balloon festival

2. Museum Guard says:

I was going to have you charged with blatant art recycling (even the pie and dynamite didn’t change), until I saw that the round thing turned into the eyeball and the bird turned into ….
    What the heck is that?

3. David Coutant says:

I remember the spelling bee one. My wife runs the bees at her school, so I shared it with her. She ends up seeing a lot of your stuff, as you’re the only comic I regularly follow. :)

4. Chris McKillop says:

I appreciate and respect your efficient use of quality art. As a speechwriter, I have occasionally used “previously enjoyed material” myself when it was appropriate.

5. Udo Rijlaarsdam says:

There is a name for the funny picture writing thing: hieroglyphs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_hieroglyphs

6. Jim Martin says:

New Evidence Uncovered Proving Co-Existence of Grammar Nazis and First Posts on Earliest Egyptian Facebook Walls: http://bizarrocomics.com/files/2014/01/bz-panel-01-09-14.jpg

7. David says:

The word for their funny picture-writing thing is actually in your older cartoon Dan – hieroglyphics. Love the cartoon. And as any ancient Egyptian will tell you, it’s eye before sea except after flea.

8. Rich L says:

Wonder if the Egyptians also had funny picture-writing things that sound the same but have different meanings?

9. Rich L says:

It seems that in your original gag, the chiseler is reading from left to right, but in the new gag, the no good chiseler is being reprimanded for disobeying usage rules that apply right to left. So which is it? Oh. Never mind. I forgot this is Bizarro-Egypt.

Love the football helmet!

10. Sam says:

Amazingly, “Detroit” is spelled exactly the same, in hieroglyph.
    I “heart” this one.
    Piraro is Ra.

11. Rae says:

Well there’s that little word “hieroglyphics” that might fit the bill. ;)

12. Foye Lowe says:

You stole from yourself? Isn’t that autofelonious or something?

13. Foye Lowe says:

By the way, I’m sharing your link with this heading: “What is the Sphinx really saying? Is it vulgar?” Perhaps with your connections, you can answer the query.

14. Wonderful! My idea is a panel taking place in ancient Egypt. Two Egyptians are chiseling hieroglyphics on a wall and one has turned to the other and says, “I never can remember. Do you spell ‘Cleopatra’ with one bird or two?”

15. David Ebinger says:

Dan
    More than clever.
    I have returned from Afghanistan after 4 years and back in Sarasota.
    Love the humidity!

16. Brian says:

I cannot help smiling at the fact that in comments next to a gag about spelling and grammar, I see the sentence “Why isn’t their a word for that?”

Hey, grammar Nazi or not, I am and remain a huge fan, and have become rather addicted to my daily dose of Bizarro. :-)

17. George Phillips says:

Oddly enough, there is somewhat of a correspondence between the alphabet and hieroglyphics. But it seems that there’s no hope of doing a correct ‘i’ before ‘e’ rule.

The page says that E’s were not shown and that there wasn’t really a ‘C’. Ah well. We’ll just have to settle for funny gag rather than funny gag with a bit of truth behind it. In every life some rain must fall.

18. Danielle Saurenman says:

F yes!!!! I love this!!!!! :)

19. kitty says:

Love it, too funny

20. Ruty says:

I absolutely love all of the history-related strips you create. As a teacher, I can not even begin to tell you how much fun the “kiddies” have, reading and analyzing your art. [I just know..."river of blood" is going to get 'em ...;)]
    We revisited your “Gettysburg Tweet” on November 19th [150th Anniversary]…one of my all-time faves.
    Thank you for making history viable, relevant …and hilarious.

21. Pingback: Spelling Hieroglyphics | News aggrgator

22. Pingback: Uncommon Tuts | Hot Geekz

23. Diana F. says:

Since the topic is Ancient Egypt and Spelling Nazis, let me take this opportunity to point out that “hieroglyphics” is an incorrect word. The carvings are hieroglyphs (noun) and the writing is described as hieroglyphic (adjective).

24. Pingback: Ancient Emoticons

25. Pingback: Terminologia etc. » » Difficile da tradurre: eye before flea…

26. Boyd says:

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog
    with my zynga group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Many thanks

27. Pingback: A 15 Minute Trip Around the World via the Internet | belowbc