Pyro Pussy

bz panel 01-15-14bz strip 01-15-14Bizarro is brought to you today by Middle Children Taste Best.

My favorite thing about this cartoon is the way the characters are drawn. The hipster girl and her trendy, hipster, nerd boyfriend/husband have a certain look that I recognize and that’s always gratifying as an artist. I often have no particular kind of person in mind when I begin to draw a character but somehow it begins to head in a certain direction and I follow it.

About cats: Though I prefer dogs, I enjoy all non-human animals and really enjoy having one around the house. To my mind, the only real downside is that they are destructive. Sure, once they get old and lazy and rarely do anything other than sleep they’re not so bad, but for x years before that, they seem to find innumerable ways to make your stuff look more crappy day by day. Whether it is the dark spot on my sofa where the dog sits most of the time, or the scratch marks on my favorite chair from the cat’s claws, or the muddy, bare spots in the yard where my llama has eaten away all the grass then dug a hole to lay her eggs, the place is just a mess. Still, they provide so much love and companionship that I willingly make that sacrifice. Even when my Aye-Aye wrecked my Lamborghini, I just couldn’t stay mad at her.

OLD BIZNESS: Way back in the late 1900s, I was inspired to write this cartoon by my Italian Greyhound, Bruno. I loved that dog and played tennis-ball fetch with him at least once a day, often twice. He absolutely could NOT get enough of it. On hot days, he would return the ball and beg for me to throw it again and again until he would literally pass out. The first time it happened, it scared me to death. I vowed to make him stop before he got to that point again but he did once more, a few weeks later, get to the point of staggering and falling down, panting. After that, I was much more careful and never let him get that overheated again. He was a great dog and I still miss him sometimes.bz 04-05-96 hermit dog WEB

This entry was posted in animals, classic Bizarros, daily Bizarros and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Pyro Pussy

1. Arthur says:

That is a sweet story about Bruno. Sometimes a non-human animal companion really makes a home for themselves in our hearts.

2. Scott Fisher says:

I wasn’t aware that “aye-aye” was an indigenous name for “larval chupacabra.” On a scale of “puppies pulling a wagon full of cupcakes” to “nest of naked mole rats,” that thing is about 97% of the way there.

3. Stephen Williams says:

I’m a cat person. Get a cat!
    P.S. Your ‘brought to you by’ links are always so great!

4. Amy says:

I once had a Cairn terrier who would have chased a ball until *I* passed out from throwing it. One day we were playing in the apartment, with me throwing the ball downstairs from the 2nd floor and trying to do some chores in between throws, when I finally got bored and said “That’s all”–which she recognized, so she settled in to chew on the ball at the top of the stairs. After a while, I heard the ball go bouncing down, and looked to see her stand up, with a startled look on her face, and then go racing after it. She played this game for as long as we lived there: Chew a while, drop the ball, pretend to be surprised, and run like crazy after it.

She was a great dog and I still miss her sometimes.

• Ken Buscho says:

I love this, a self-entertaining dog. Had a Sheltie-Collie Tri-Color who loved old balloons, he would prance around with them in his mouth, and somehow would manage not pop them. One day I heard him barreling down the hall multiple times, and went to see what was up. He had figured out that if he carefully dropped the balloon in front of the box fan by the front door, it would blow it down the hall; he would give it a head start, and then tear down the hall after it, carry it back to the fan, and repeat. This went on for probably 20 minutes, before the balloon finally met its maker; too funny. I miss that dog…

Great dog story! Thanks! My little mutt takes one of those rubber Kong toys and drops it at the top of the stairs to chase it down. :^}

• Betsy Coss says:

that’s a great story! loved it. Yea, I bet you miss a dog like that!
      betsy

5. Rolly says:

Glad I checked out your site after reading your cartoon for years and enjoying it so much. Your art work is always amazing and your writing so surreal and funny. I really like the idea of getting the story of what went into the cartoon. I’ve been an amateur cartoonist since before I was in kindergarten. But so often what kept me from going further was an idea strong enough to put the cartoon across the plate. If I can ever get the hang of layers in Photoshop and penciling with my Wacom Tablet, I want to do more with it again. Thanks for the inspiration to keep trying!

6. qwkslvr says:

Clearly boyfriend, girlfriend. No wedding ring

7. Bruce Nicholc says:

When I first looked at the strip version, I thought we had a bearded lady…..lol

8. Martha Szondy says:

Hi Mr. P-

Here’s a link to a video that you might find amusing. Who knew dogs could be such pussies?

9. Hellen Without The H says:

Aww…how cute, but I thought your Aye-Aye was a boy Aye-Aye.

10. Eric Simpson says:

Did you consider having the cat light your stick of dynamite?

11. Snick says:

What’s with the goatee on the girl on the left????

12. Tanya Sitton says:

Love it, both times. :)

I share a home with a tiny Spanish street cat/manifestation of evil, who in this dimension is called ‘Sallycat’ — though I don’t know why we bother calling her, obviously it has no impact on her movements. She does indeed self-amuse!* (*with violence towards others…)

Also, that sounds like a d*** good dog.

Excellent work, as per usual!

13. Pingback: Bizarro cats and dogs… | Bright, shiny objects!

14. A few years ago i had a cat scratching at my door and meowing. As soon as i open the door it ran in and did not want to leave. After chasing him around the apartment i would pick it up and put the cat back outside, but it would start to scratch and meow at the door again. This went on for a few days until a person knocked on my door with a flier looking for the same cat. I told the man that i had seen it but that it was gone now. Makes me wonder why that cat didn’t want to stay with that guy. Never saw that cat again and for some reason i miss him running into my apartment, it sucks being lonely…

15. Ben says:

I find that most cats do better the more you interact with them. They prefer to play with their humans if given the opportunity and respond by being friendlier and better behaved.

Although it varies from cat-to-cat. Some cats aren’t as domestic as others and prefer a more independent life.

16. Ken Leatherbarrow says:

In the strip, I couldn’t tell what the cat was holding, and decided it was a mouse. went from ok funny to hilarious today.
    I have become a serious fan over the past couple years. Thank you.

17. AKK says:

Unfortunately, with the small space assigned to your comic, it was difficult to figure out what the cat was doing until I came here and saw it in its complete biggified colourificness.
    And I didn’t even notice the bearded lady at all in the paper version.

18. Pingback: The Curious Brain » Pyro Pussy

19. Dr_Duck says:

There are days when the comments section opens up the whole universe suggested by your cartoons. (Actually, that is often the case)

Today it’s a little like a script for a movie based on a Daniel Clowes storyline. I mean that in a good way.

I stopped getting you on my newsfeed on Facebook. Now clicking your page every day is on my to-do list.

big love, keep it coming.

20. Dominic says:

People characters? What about the cat – she’s hilarious! I swear my fat cat “John Henry” would set fire to stuff if she could grow just one opposable thumb.

Love the dog drawing – that’s my Sammy. Best dog I’ve ever owned. The only negative thing I can say about him is he’ll die before I do.

21. Pingback: Es una ventaja, si El original AQUÍ | ¡Qué Morro!

22. Nancy says:

It is regretful that you have chosen a theme of a comic strip (The Dog/Cat Preacher) that insinuates Catholic dogma in such a blasphemous manner. Both the Virgin Mary referred to as a Good Dog, announced with the veiled Biblical reference to ‘The Angelus’ and the ‘cookie’ reference which is used by the uninformed as the derogatory term for the Eucharist, demonstrates individuals with hostility towards the Church. If you failed to see the parallels, I question your intelligence. If you do see the insensitivity and chose to create this crude humor anyway, you are either a lapsed Catholic or I again question your rational abilities to discern what is socially acceptable as laughable.

Thanks for your comments, Nancy. I’m sorry you were offended by this cartoon but it was not aimed at Catholic dogma specifically. As you will notice, the preacher is wearing a protestant collar. The general method of this joke is to take human beliefs and apply them toward another animal species, nothing more. Most humans find this kind of correlation amusing. I’m not sure where you got that I was referring to the “Virgin Mary” as a dog, or that my reference to a cookie is meant to signify the Eucharist. I think you may be looking for more here than is intended. One of the most powerful things about artistic expression is that each viewer sees something a little different.