Below Deck

Bizarro 04-27-14 hdrWEBBizarro 04-27-14 WEB(Click on anyone’s nose to get a larger image.)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Japanese TV of the 1960s.

I like today’s gag because it’s one of those that doesn’t quite click (for most readers) until they read the dialogue balloon, then search around the image for what it means. I used to have one of those mirror periscope toys when I was a kid. I don’t know why it was fun to see around corners but it was. There was invariably nothing of great interest to see that I couldn’t have witnessed by walking around the corner, but imagination is a powerful thing.

BIZARCHIVES: Here’s a look back in time to 2002. I have no memory of writing or drawing this cartoon but I came across it in my archives this morning and thought it was really weird. Who are these people and what are they doing? Your guess is as good as mine and I hope the answer amuses you. bizarro 11-10-02 Expect WEB

28 Responses to Below Deck

1. Museum Guard says:

I expect they’re not expecting expecting.

2. Bill Costa says:

I thought somebody was hiding under the chair. I’m glad the third character confirmed that there was only two other people in the room. Then again, if there is somebody hiding under the chair, maybe she doesn’t know there are actually three other people! If so — I bet she wasn’t expecting that! (And somebody needs to pick up that fish in the hall.)

3. Eric Simpson says:

In the new ‘toon, I found the eye, the alien, the bunny. and the pie, but can’t find the fifth object. It looks like maybe there is an eye in the periscope’s mirror, or possibly the dynamite is in the water pitcher (that’s either the burning end of the fuse or a decorative flourish).

You’re going to slap your forehead. Check out the red tie on the gentleman at left. :^}

• Eric Simpson says:

Ow! Now my forehead hurts! Since I really am a Simpson, I can honestly say…d’oh! I looked in all the shading, just *knowing* there was a K2 in there somewhere….

4. Warren Lunt says:

Grew up in a religious home. Was instilled with a strong sense that this was the Last Days. I knew the scripture said Jesus was going to return at an hour when people were not expecting Him. I can remember when there were special events coming up, things I really wanted to do on the approaching calender, I would chant ” Jesus is coming back, Jesus is coming back” SO HE COULDN’T and ruin my plans.

Oh my god, that is hilarious! I believed that stuff as a kid, too, but it never occurred to me to try to control it that way. :^}

5. Rick Childs says:

It could be another angle on the ‘Waiting for Godot’ gag.

6. Andy T says:

No, the first cartoon immediately “clicked” with me :-)
    Had too many of those meetings myself (all above the table, luckily)…

7. Gustav says:

Aaargh, took me five minutes to find the 5th secret symbol! Well played, seƱor P.

8. Japanese TV of the 1960s.

how racist was THAT?!?!

9. John Webster Frost says:

silly rabbit… kicks are for trids…

10. Shawn Lewis says:

I love all the smug looks on the other meeting participant’s faces :)

11. Mike Franklin says:

In re: the 2002 panel.

My initial observation was the picture of the shoe on the wall and the old adage of ‘waiting for the other shoe to drop.’ Next was the ‘heart’ on the desk… and various sayings regarding heart attacks.
    But then, there was the upside-down bird with some other T-shaped thing apparently falling from it, the firecracker/ stick o’ dynamite below that and then the fishtail just beyond the door in the hallway.

Bizarro is something I have not had too much access to until I found it here so, I apologize if I am overlooking something that might otherwise be obvious, lol.

Thanks… don’t stop :)

12. RobNoxious says:

You’ve put the eyeball secret symbol on coffee cups before, and now here’s two examples. Maybe you should make ‘em and sell ‘em. Eyeball secret symbol coffee cups. I would drink coffee from one. I might even enjoy tea in it from time to time. Then, when you put the eyeball secret symbol on a character’s cup, I could say, “I have one of those! Look, that guy’s like me! Why is he holding a monkey?”

13. Kevin says:

Still don’t get it. Help please!

Brian was texting during a meeting so the boss made him sit under the table and watch the meeting through a periscope poking through a hole in the table. No more to it than that. Just some ridiculousness for the sake of amusement.

14. Patrick says:

You should use a periscope in a gag about periodontics.

15. Lorraine Iacone says:

I read Bizarro every morning in my local paper and usually find it amusing. Recently you’ve published two comics that refer to RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Just wondering why you’ve referenced this severely debilitating condition. Is it because of the mildly amusing name or do you have personal experience and knowledge of the syndrome? As a lifelong sufferer of severe RLS, I am very curious. I found the comics funny and not offensive. That is not always the case. The RLS Foundation very often takes offense to articles in the press, but I think they’d be okay with you!

I’ve had RLS for a couple of decades and it has driven me nuts. I’ve always found that humor is the best way for me to deal with life’s disappointments or miseries and so I do cartoons about them. I’m glad you find them amusing, as well. By the way, I’ve found that smoking a little marijuana in the evening, when my symptoms first start, knocks them out and I can sleep without twitching. I live in California where this is legal, so I realize that it isn’t as easy for people in other states.

16. Pingback: Brian | Broadsheet.ie

17. Rubber_Wonder_Boy says:

Where I come from, being placed under the table is a treat!
    : P

18. Mark Kenned says:

My first thought was that you were channeling the theme song from Candid Camera… When you least expect it!